The review process starts at the Agency/Board/Commission level with the identification of an IT project which needs to be completed. An example of the typical flow of the PIJ process can be found on the ADOA-ASET website at: http://aset.azdoa.gov/strategic-oversight.
A quick overview of the process is listed below, broken up into two phases: Agency phase, and ADOA-ASET Strategic Oversight Phase.
Agency Phase (Prior to formal Submission)*
- Agency determines if upcoming initiative requires a PIJ/Pre-PIJ (IT related, ≥ $25,000)
- Agency discusses upcoming initiative with Strategic Oversight for preliminary feedback or direction
- Agency submits a draft PIJ for ADOA-ASET Strategic Oversight review (optional)
- Agency obtains necessary Agency approvals (signatures)
- Agency submits the final PIJ for ADOA-ASET Strategic Oversight review
ADOA-ASET Strategic Oversight Phase (once the document has been formally submitted)
- ADOA-ASET Strategic Oversight reviews PIJ document for completeness/soundness and performs analysis
- ADOA-ASET Strategic Oversight works with the Agency if additional information is required
- ADOA-ASET Strategic Oversight submits the final PIJ along with an analysis and recommendation for Approval, or Approval with Conditions to the State CIO
- If State CIO approves, <$1 million = Agency is notified and can then secure funding to begin project
- If State CIO approves, >$1 million = ADOA-ASET makes recommendation to ITAC
- Agency/Board/Commission prepares an ITAC presentation
- The project is presented at the next ITAC meeting (typically the 4th Wednesday of the calendar month)
- If ITAC approves, Agency is notified and can then secure funding to begin project
*The Strategic Oversight team is available to help, or discuss any item at any phase in the process (including prior to a PIJ even being written) to answer any questions, provide guidance, or help determine if a PIJ is needed.