A value used to control cryptographic operations, such as decryption, encryption, signature generation, or signature verification.
SOURCE: SP 800-63
A binary string used as a secret parameter by a cryptographic algorithm.
SOURCE: SP 800-108
A parameter used in conjunction with a cryptographic algorithm that determines the specific operation of that algorithm.
SOURCE: FIPS 201; FIPS 198
A parameter used in conjunction with a cryptographic algorithm that determines
* the transformation of plaintext data into ciphertext data,
* the transformation of ciphertext data into plaintext data,
* a digital signature computed from data,
* the verification of a digital signature computed from data,
* an authentication code computed from data, or
* an exchange agreement of a shared secret.
SOURCE: FIPS 140-2